Berlin - Potsdamer Platz
Potsdamer Platz used to be the busiest squares in Europe in the 1920's and 30's when it all came to an abrupt end in 1943 when it was left to ruins by allied bombing. After the second world war, the square located between the American, British and Russian sectors, became a no-man's land. It was completely flattened with the construction of the Berlin Wall in 1961 when the demolished buildings were pulled down.
After the fall of the Berlin Wall it was decided to rebuild the whole area, 480.000 square meter large. Construction started in 1994 and for many years Potsdamer Platz became the largest construction site in Europe. The square, together with several adjacent blocks were redeveloped
Debis Building B1under the supervision of the architects Wilmer and Sattler.
The project included the construction of several landmark towers, a shopping arcade, an entertainment center and residential buildings.
The first building completed was the Debis tower, designed by Renzo Piano. Other eyecatchers are the Sony Center, a complex designed by Helmut Jahn which includes an Imax theater and an office tower. Its neighbor, the brown-brick Kohlhof building featured an observation deck at a height of 93m.is an important public square and traffic intersection in the centre of Berlin, Germany, lying about one kilometre south of the Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag (German Parliament Building), and close to the southeast corner of the Tiergarten park. It is named after the city of Potsdam, some 25 km to the south Once the busiest crossing in Europe, the Potsdamer Platz was completely destroyed after the war. In 1998 the new Potsdamer Platz, full of modern buildings, officially opened.