Dresden - Hofkirche on the River Elbe
The cathedral called Katholische Hofkirche is the largest church in Saxony. It was built 1738-51 by Gaetano Chiaveri and is considered one of the masterpieces of Baroque in Europe. The tall, graceful tower is one of Dresden's landmarks. When Elector Duke Augustus the Strong wanted to become King of Poland he had to convert to Catholism. At first a small chapel in the Royal Comedy Theatre was sufficient for catholic services, but when his son took over, he ordered an impressive Catholic church to be built. Four crypts contain the tombs of 49 Catholic Saxon rulers. The church was badly damaged during the Second World War and later reconstructed.