Bled - The Church of the Assumption
In the middle of the glacial Lake Bled rises Slovenia's only real island. The island is a tree-covered limestone moraine which is a remnant of the Ice Age. There is a church on the island - the Pilgrimage Church of the Assumption, its present form from the 17th century althought the first one built here is from all the way back to the 12th century. Inside is a main altar with rich gold-plated carving, dating back from 1747. There is also a central altarpiece where the Virgin Mary is shown seated, next to whom appears to be the donor of the Bled estate, Henrik II, and his wife Kunigunda.
Visitors of Bled can come to the island by pletna boat.